Sunday, January 10, 2010

You say Goodbye, and I say Hello

The end of the year. The close of a decade. A taking of stock and tallying of accounts, and a time to measure regrets against moments of pride, no matter how fleeting or inflated they may be.
I love the idea of a clean slate, of opportunities abounding, of seeds being planted. New Years is always a time of optimism for me. I even like the way that memories of things that may have seemed momentous just a few months ago begin to take on the warm patina of nostalgia in the bright light of the future. Every year I get the feeling that the next year is going to be a great one, and so far, I've always been right.
One of my ongoing resolutions is to tell the people I love how much I appreciate them.
Here are some New Year Shout Outs :

To Mollie and Robert, JR and David: Ok, so I know that you guys probably won't read this, but hey, what do I care? Sometimes I just write to hear how fast I can type. Turns out, not so fast. But that's not important. This is: I wish you all those things that come from having a partner, like someone who is always on your team (and who would pick you first if he/she was the captain of said team, even if last time you fell down in the outfield because you thought a bird was flying too low and might inadvertently run into you, and touch you with its gross dinosaur bird skin that is just crawling with mites, and then, from your flat-on-ass position, you noticed that the bird was gone but the ball was coming awful close, so you covered your head and ducked. That's no reason not to pick a person first for a team if you're the captain, right?) A partner always tries to think of what can be done to make your load lighter, and thinks pretty much everything will be more fun if you are involved. A partner supports and encourages you, and is proud of your victories. A partner kisses you when you are sad and tries to make you feel better, and a partner learns what it takes to make you, with all your idiosyncrasies and quirks, feel better. I wish you strength, patience, a sense of humor, and trust. I am glad you found each other and am glad I get to share in the dawn of your new lives together. Congratulations!

To McAdams: Please don't go! I will really miss you, because you are one of a kind (I won't say what kind, exactly...) and I love you so. I can't wait for our next adventure. Take care of Big Poppa, and call me all the time.

To the Losers: What a fabulous tradition we have going on! These are the good old days, for reals! I promise to never be tardy for your party!

To Big John: Last year kind of sucked, huh. I am so sorry for your pain and loss. You are a good friend, and I wish you joy. Oh, yeah - thanks for sharing.

To KB and Mr. Simpson: I don't know what I have done to deserve you! K, you are my forever friend. You've watched me grow up, laughed at my jokes, wiped away my tears, encouraged my talents, tastes and efforts, and are always, always there for me. Mr. Simpson, you're a treasure I never expected to find. Being with you guys makes me feel lucky, lucky. J'espere pour beacoup pleus rendez-vous dans la prochaine annee. (If that was incorrect, it's not because I can't speak French. It's on account of it's l'heure de happy in Paris, and I like to celebrate. Don't judge!)

To Lurleen: Someday in NYC, right? Until then, I am happy being with you anywhere. You are the Nancy to my Ann Wilson, and I am crazy on you. You put the flick in my bic and the slumber in my party. Thank you for your candor, your constant support, your dance moves and your willingness to try new things and always take me back.

To Biskit: Where are you? I think about you.

To X and Glis: As Freddie Prinze says, "Chicano, things will get better!" Hang in there. I am rooting for you! I've loved you both for years, and you can count on me now.

To Patrick: Some are silver and the others gold. You are both.

To E.D.: How fortunate I am to have you! I am ashamed I waited so long to discover what so many others already knew. That's what I get for holding grudges. You are special and beautiful. You make me laugh and think. I appreciate you more and more, and I think we will be friends forever.

To Alisa: I would travel across the time-space continuum for you, but you would have to tell me how to get there. Do I knock three times on the ceiling or click my red shoes together? You are wonderful. No, really.

To Denichiwa: Yummy. Tushy. 'Nough said. Thanks for the sush, and here's to many more fabulous soirees. And also, thanks for checking on me. And calling even when I've annoyed you. And telling me about your kids, both human and exceedingly furry. You are funny and nice. And you have a nice ass. I'm just sayin'.

Charles: You were my new friend last year, and you are the gift that keeps on giving, even when I use the special shampoo. Thanks for that.

Trixie: If I had a lucky star, it would be you. Shine on me forever. You make me grow. You make me sing, and then you don't ask me to stop. You introduce me to chicks and talk lady business with me. You read my stuff and show me beauty, and you inspire me. It doesn't get much better than that.

To Mom: My first. My best. The most. My favorite. You are all superlatives. A lifetime of love and gratitude to you.

To Dad: I'm so glad you found this blog! Welcome to my world! I thank you for all the things you have passed on to me; you gave me some of my best parts. (Not my rack, though. That's all Mom's side of the family.) You are one of my greatest influences, and I love you because you are you.

To REL and Ed: My everyday joy. Without you...I can't imagine. You are so much to me that even I am speechless. Also, thanks for the kids. Took a lot of pressure off. Let me keep my girlish figure and allow me to nap every day. Also, I look forward of you taking care of me next year when I am old. Sincerely, I adore you.

This list is not complete, and I apologize to anyone I have left out. I have said it before, and I'll say it again; I'm the luckiest girl ever. Thanks to all who make my life exciting, interesting, lovely and grand. Thanks to you who read this blog. It is indulgent, I know, but it's fun for me, and knowing that someone cares to read it makes me feel important. Happy 2010, everybody!

3 comments:

  1. I love you! I am so grateful for my wonderful family. And I'm lucky I found a wonderful partner. Although, he's very sporty and athletic, not sure he'd pick me to be on a sports related team. But he does most of that other stuff. :-) I can't wait to celebrate with you on Friday and Saturday! Oh and did I mention, I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dean,

    You rock my blogoshpere, and often times my real world as well. Gracias to you for lots and lots of things.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking for The Losers, our little tradition has kept me together body and soul. I love you so , so much.

    ReplyDelete